1. The Red Shorts Challenge is open to any certified diver at any certification level.
2. All dives entered in your passport should be a “Red Shorts Qualified” dive (see the definition of a “qualified dive” below).
3. The passport must be stamped by a representative of The Dive Shop at the time of the dive. The dives are stamped for the event, not the number of dives made in the day. To get the passport stamped, the participant must make the dives and not “just show up” without diving.
4. To complete the passport, you must have at least 3 international and 5 local qualifying dive entries. Two of the international dives can be substituted with 5 additional Local dives (5 Local per one international dive). The Red Shorts Challenge will be progressive to completion. There is a potential for a participant to complete the requirements within a year, other participants may take longer. Keeping the passport in a safe place and having it when you make the dives will be good idea. Lost passports can be replaced but may negate the recorded dives unless they can be proven and verified with appropriate stamp.
5. Qualifying dives are all sponsored dive trips from The Dive Shop and local Passport Club dives. All qualifying dives will be clearly identified as “Red Shorts Qualifier”. If the dive is not labeled with this, it is not a qualified dive. Personal dives, dives with other organizations, or dives that are not “qualifier” identified will not count for the Passport Club or the Red Short Challenge.
6. Examples of qualifying dives (not all inclusive): International: TDS sponsored trips to Fiji, Roatan, Palau, Catalina (hey, its California — can’t get much more foreign than that!), Puget Sound, Key Largo/Key West. Local: Dive Shop sponsored Pumpkin Carving, Bear Lake Treasure Hunt, Flaming Gorge.
7. Safe diving practices must be followed an all Passport Club activities, including annual inspection of equipment, always diving with a dive buddy, proper equipment for the dives, etc. In consideration to being allowed to participate in the events, the diver will personally assume all risks in connection to these diving events, for any harm, injury, or damage that may befall them, including all risks connected therewith, whether foreseen or unforeseen. The participant also agrees to save, indemnify, and hold harmless The Dive Shop, Passport Club or Red Shorts Challenge, and its staff from any claim or lawsuit by the participant.
8. The reward for completing the Red Shorts Challenge goes without saying. The prestige of wearing the Red Shorts in front of your diving peers one would think would be enough. Upon completing the Red Shorts Challenge the participant will receive an engraved trophy, a plaque in their name installed on the Red Shorts Wall of Fame, and of course they will receive a pair of Red Shorts indicating they have completed the highest recognition of diving! Other rewards for completing the Red Shorts Challenge would include big discounts towards equipment purchases, limited free rental, discounts or upgrades on dive travel through The Dive Shop. More rewards would include discounts on hotels, car rentals, phone carriers, restaurants, AND MORE! The list will keep going and going!
Note: Red Shorts Challenge rewards are subject to change annually due to availability.